Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Man In The Moon

Ok I guess by now everyone knows I love the full moon. But why? Well I will get to that in this post.



First let me say this. The moon you saw last night wasn't a complete full moon. It was 98% full. Some say what is the difference? Well to some there is no difference but to me there is.


I have this inter clock inside of me that just gets wound up and I have so much energy that I can go non-stop for 24 hrs or so. I bounce off the walls.

There have been all kinds of reports on the full moon and how it has reactions on the oceans and animals. It even has some thing to do with how people acts also. Crime is up during full moons ask you fellow law enforcement. They will laugh but they will tell you that there is a lot that goes on during a full moon. And why not. It's the pull.
Now that I have told you this let me tell you. Tonight is what they call a LUMINOUS MOON. It's the first full moon of the summer. That means the moon will glow brighter and look bigger upon it's rising. (It glows brighter from the sun's rays) And as it climbs it will lose it's size and glow. I just look at it in amaze.


Moon Illusion: A visual illusion that causes the moon to appear relatively larger when it is near the horizon than when it is at it's zenith, although in both cases it subtends the same visual angle of about one-half of a degree or 30 minutes of arc, and although it does not necessarily appear any further away at it's zenith. The sun is much larger the the moon but by remarkable coincidence almost identical to it in angular size, fitting behind the moon almost perfectly in a total eclipse, and it is also subject to the moon illusion, appearing much larger shortly after sunrise or shortly before sunset than at it's zenith. The illusion first appeared in print in the Meteorology of the Greek philosopher Aristotle (384-322 BC), who described it's effect on the sun and stars but oddly omitted to mention the moon: "The sun and stars seem bigger when rising and setting on the meridian". Also called the celestial illusion, especially when referring to the illusion in a stimulus other than the moon.

WHAT A MOON IN JUNE
Look at the night sky this tonight and you will see one of nature's most amazing spectacles - the moon larger, closer and more mesmerising than ever before .... but sorry, it's just an illusion.


Outside sometime tonight if the sky is clear look due south east, towards the horizon. If your lucky and the clouds clear and stay away, you will be treated to one of natures most amazing spectacles (a hanging moon).
Everything about the moon will appear as normal, the craters will still be there as will the mountains and yes even the sea's - dark patches of volcanic rock. (This will be visible with even a cheap pair of binoculars).
But most of all "The Man in the Moon will still be smiling his cherry smile down at us......
The sky at night: Somethings you never knew about the full moon.
From: Belfast Telegraph
The full moon is a lunar phase occurring when the moon is on the opposite side of the earth from the sun and all three bodies are aligned in a straight line. Viewed from earth,the near side of the moon is fully illuminated by the sun giving it the familiar circular appearance.
It's only a full moon that the dark side of the moon - the hemisphere on the opposite side to the sun - is completely dark.
Lunar eclipses - caused by the passage of the earth's shadow across the illuminated hemisphere - only occur during a full moon. However, because of the angle of tilt of both bodies the moon normally passes either north or south of the earth's shadow.

Now that I have shared some fact's about the moon I will tell you the simple thing. (I love the full moon) . I try to watch it when it comes up and I say "Hello to the man in the moon". I also make a wish and always ask him to watch over the ones I love. Crazy I know but I have done this ever since I was a child.
I grew up with a older sister that more or less was like a mother to me. Even though she was 10 yrs older than me. I had a stepfather that was a mean drunk. And we would escape to a 3 wall play house with curtains that hung over the holes cut for windows and the side that didn't have a wall.
We would burn candles and talk to each other of a day when life would be good. On the nights when a full moon would rise we would lay on a blanket and watch it come up and she would tell me to trace his face.
She would say if you look hard enough you can see him smiling at you. And always remember he is your best friend. Every thing you share with him your hopes, dreams, fears and even your secrets will stay with him for ever he will never tell a soul.

So that's how that got started. One day she left and moved away. My stepfather was still there and worse than ever. The playhouse I loved and felt safe in was torn down because he said it was a heap of boards that would be nothing but a hazard. So it was torn down and piled up and burned. As I sat there and watched it burn I thought about the man in the moon.
And I wondered what would he do if he knew about that. So I never said anything about the moon.
Times when I could get out on the full moon night I would lay there and smile at the man in the moon and tell him of the hurt and pain I had to go through from the last time I had spoke to him. I would wish to him that one day he would bring some one to take me away from all the hurt and pain.
On nights when I couldn't get out I would pretend to be asleep until everyone was in bed asleep and I would sit at my window and tears would run down my face as I would say hello to him and tell him my secrets and ask him to take me far away to a better place.
Well one day I grew up and I moved away and even got married. But the better place I thought I was escaping to wasn't better. But I still waited for the Man in the full moon to rise and I still would tell him my secrets and dreams and also of the pain.

Well a lot of things has happened since I was a little girl wishing on a moon. Smiling and laughing at the man there in the moon. I have moved on and I have 2 daughters now and I have shared the man in the moon with them from the time they could sit or lay and watch and laugh. They are grown up and my oldest has 2 children of her own. The youngest just grew up and goes here and there. (No children).
Me I'm older now no husband or children to sit with or share things with at this time. No one I can say special in my life as of now. But there was 1.
The one that was special I shared the man in the moon with and my hopes and dreams and even my frears.
He listened to my stories and he would look at the moon and hold my hand and at times even put his arms around me and wipe tears that would sometimes come from sad memories. He would make me feel safe and loved. He is gone now.
But I know deep in my heart that somewhere out there where ever he is when he sees that big beautiful full moon. It maybe just for a few minutes but I hope he thinks of me and smiles. And maybe just maybe he asks the man in the moon to watch over me.
As for me I still watch the full moon rise. I still share my secrets and everything with the man in the moon. And I ask him to watch over the ones I love and care about. To light there way at night and keep them safe from the shadows no matter where they travel .

This is my very best friend a friend I have had since a child. The one I always told my everything to. I trusted him because I knew he would be there every time he was to rise. And he would never tell all I have told him. He would always see me for me. All he would do is shine his glow on me and smile with kindness.
My Man in the Moon.

(So the next time your out and he is smiling at you just smile back and tell him hello).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that insight about the moon I didn't know the other night was only 98%. It's kinda hard to tell. In any means I still thought of you when I saw the 98%full moon that night on a clear sky. Well, I liked this post and I can't wait for the next.

Mental P Mama said...

A beautiful post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your friend thought of you when he saw the beautiful moon, mim.

My man in the moon said...

Well this was something very special to me that I had shared with him. And to tell you I also thought of him too... I miss those full moon nights with him... I hope he is doing well.