Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why Can't It Be Halloween Once A Week

Have you ever wanted a holiday to go on for ever?

First of all let me say all holidays are wonderful and we all have our favorite one we just can’t wait to come and we love to share.
With that said I want to say that my favorite holiday is Halloween. It’s the one time of the year you can be anything you want and people don’t judge you or look at you like you’re a crazed idiot.



This past Halloween I had a ball. I started choosing what I wanted to be about six months before the holiday. I love the parties and the people that come to them. They tend to open themselves up to the make believe world and use their imaginations.

(All the blue is just comments of the ones in the pictures the story is in RED.)


(This year I decide to be a BLACK CAT) (Mewooooo)...LOL....


It was a lot of fun just getting the things together for the costume.
This year I had a few parties to go to so I had to have a costume that would hold out for a few wears.


Some of my friends had some really cool costumes and they worked very hard on them. They took some pride in what they were trying to show out.


(This is Sandi and me she played cupid but I think her arrows were broken...LOL...)




I can't begin to say how much I love this holiday. Growing up I couldn't wait for it to come. And as I got older it became a big part of family tredtions in our house. My kids grew up with a mom that really got into this and went all out.



I would start building the ”Hallowed Yard”. Things that I had collected over the years and new items that I picked up would all go to building the one night fright in our very own yard.



(Mark was the Wizard and John was the Jackass and me after a few drinks I think we were doing the bump.)



The last day of September I would be out in the yard walking around looking at the trees and anything else I could figure to hang things and then I would start.
“The Graveyard of Friends” Tombstones made from cardboard and Styrofoam, black and gray paint with what ever I could come up with to make them look old and worn. Placing them in away where they looked as if they were being pushed out from the earth and where once the colored lights were turned on there would be shadows cast. Moss hung from the trees long and marshy. Then the spider webbing would come out very heavy because by the time the big night came there would be bit’s and pieces stringing in the wind. It’s all the effects.


(This guy I have no ideal who he is but we all called him the Sheep Farmer Hill Billy. The picture says it all and it says what's on his mind also.)


Spiders, bats would be hung from the trees and from the corners of the house outside to dangle in the wind. The windows became a mass of spider webbing with different shapes and sizes of these eight legged guest. Over to the side of the graveyard there would be to large bird cages with large vultures perched inside as protecting the coffin that sat in the center of them. Large black and very shiny. The brass handles and carvings seemed old and unpolished. This was a project I took on one year that took me yes 41/2 months to complete. The boards and plywood, hinges and latches you name it I got to do this. I even fixed the inside with foam so it would be cushioned to who ever decided to take on the part of the Greatest Undead “ Dracula “.

All in all it took me all month to arrange this with people driving by everyday to see what was new to the yard. Now also we were registered with the Sheriffs Dept as a safe trick or treat place for the kids. That was the most fun and one of the best memories I have of that holiday. All that work for sometimes a month and a half was worth it all to see the faces of the kids. And hear them scream and then once they were at a safe distance hear them laugh.




Then after trick or treat would end all the kids that were my kids friends and had helped out with this yard of terror which sometimes be as many as 20 or more. They then would have there Halloween party and enjoy them selves to warm apple blood punch and hot coco and many types of finger sandwiches and other party goods. Too bad they grow up. Wow the power of memories.


(This is my buddy Kirt. He is a fellow bartender and yes he is a perv. He choose to be the flasher. Him and I have hung out alot. He's a real cool guy a bit on the strong headed side and he never knows what he wants either. I think he has been through 4 girl friends just in the month of Oct.)


(This is Ms Kathy she owen's the resturant / bar we hang out at sometimes. She was Little Bo Pep.)




Now there are no grave yards or spiders or even coffins. All the things I have collected over the years which would be a lot was gave to my Oldest Daughter for her to enjoy with my Grand Kids and teach them the meaning of Halloween which was sharing and laughing and enjoying the company of friends. And scaring the crap out of each other.


So now I do the adult thing. Parties and more parties. It's so much fun when you do it with friends that are open to having fun...........








(This is Brad he is a bartender also. And yes he is lost in the 60's. Not to mention everywhere else too...LOL...)


So in this blogg I wanted to share some of my pictures from this pass Halloween and I hope you enjoy them and even get a chuckle or two. I had a wild time and I guess I could say that I really did make it a Halloween to remember this past year. I must have wore that costume for at least five nights because of all the parties I attended. Some were big parties at the places I go and hang out with friends but some were simple and small parties that were more because of who was there sharing this holiday with me. But they all were wonderful and I had a great time there.



(This is the greekman Rich and me. He is always ready for a toga party.)



Now being that October is only 3 months away I am already planning something very special. I don’t think I will tend any parties this year as of yet. However if I do I have already selected my costume for it. I will have to see if what I am planning will run into the time of the parties. And the people I do hang out with well they will understand that I want to do this. And will more than likely be just as excited as I am about it. Hell there may even be a few that might want to tag along with me. {If they dare}

With being sick and evreything going on in my life right now I want this Halloween to last as long as I can make it. Never know where I will be next year....

That's why I ask the question. Why can't it be Halloween once aweek? Or at least once a month. I would just settle to have a three week party with my friends a do this holiday in like it should be done.


(This was Little Red Ridng Hood and her Bad Wolf. They just showed up with this costume and I really didn't get their names. Cool.)


To all my friends thank you for the wonderful memories. Thank you for you friendships. And thank you for sharing your laughter with me. I am looking forwards to sharing yet another wonderful Halloween with you all...............NO MATTER WHERE IT MAYBE..... (Hint The Day of The Dead)










(This is Regina she is the Jeannie in the bottle. Pretty cool she made it all her self too. Great costume girl)












(This is Scott he is another lost in the Great 60's.)















(Mr. Peterson and his great costume. He is a Breathalizer Machine. He say just blow in the tube. Yeah right...LOL...)













(Ms. Marg she was the Cowgirl. She sits at the bar side door to check I.D's. And she will rope your ass and put you to the ground in a second.)
















(Gary and Kay or should I say Pirate and Wench. Great work guys looking real good.)














(Bo now he is the Oumpa Lumpa guy. He is a great little guy to he sings and makes sure everyones is having a great time. Wonder if Willie Wonka knows he escaped?)









(Everyone wants to be a priate this year and why? No imagation that's why. They see things on the movies and they go with it. Yes that means you Karl you never use your brain>>LOL<<)





















(Chris was the monster and a pretty good one. However the Beatle Juice well lets say he is very annoying and he is a Jerk also. Yeah Mikie I said that about you. No brains either. Then there is my friend Lisa she spent all her time trying to improve Mikie's look and didn't have much time for her self. And my friend Stacy she just came as she was.)




(Abbi and Mark no not a couple just friends matter fact he could be her father. Mark worked on his costume for 2 months all made by hand except for the mask.)




















(Now this is Cindy she is the
Wendy's hamburger girl cute. Love the ponytails. And yes me I think I had a few too many cause I was grabbing Jack Sparrow but the braids. Captain Jack Sparrow Dougie you done very well with your captain dressings.)







(The party started with this small group and it went on for three days. I wish I could have put every ones picture in here they all were great. I had a wonderful time with you all and I have some wonderful memories to hold on to. Wait till this year..........)




















( Sandi and Me what better couple the Cupid and The Black Cat!!!!!! )
I will promise you this. THIS YEAR WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!!! You don't even know what you just started chica. I am the goddess of all Holloween lovers. My B-Day is the day before and I always HAVE to party and over do it. I was really wendy once .... for Wendy's I know some of the head people for Wendy's here. Anyways, I am definitely tagging along with you this year no doubt. I can't believe you have the same favorite as me when it comes to holidays.

Can't wait until OCT 1. I'm starting now too. You got me all excited. GOSH!

XOXO,
ASH

PS I was a pirate for the past like 5 years. There is so much to be creative about when you dress like a pirate. Plus, don't diss the pirates fans. I was a fan the very first time I rode the ride when I was like 4 years old...lol ... but I forgive you, because you were a kitty kat and that is something else I've been alot too common for me. I hate that people have been doing the pirate thing too because It used to be like my Holloween signature ... and I made it different every year.